How a Contact Management App Can Help You Get Your Next Big Break
In today’s job market, it’s all about who you know. Building your network and connecting with the right people can open up opportunities. With tech layoffs happening at an alarming rate, having access to a formidable network can be a game-changer when looking for your next big break.
This blog post will talk about why building and managing a professional network that supports your career is important and how a contact management app plays a role. If you’re looking to build a solid professional network or don’t know how to leverage one—you may find some helpful strategies here.
Proactive Preparation: How a Strong Network Can Help You Grow Professionally
It’s no secret that having a strong professional network can be very helpful, especially when you’re in a time of need. If you lose your job out of the blue, having a strong network of people you can count on makes all the difference in getting back on your feet.
A professional network can provide leads on new job opportunities, networking connections, reference letters, word-of-mouth referrals, and getting your foot in the door. Also, it can be a great source of support, guidance, and advice.
Below are important reasons why you should start building a professional network today.
- Learn about job openings tailored to your skills, abilities, experience, and interest from your connections.
- Sometimes people know things that aren’t public knowledge. Your network can be a great way to research companies and cultures to determine if they’re right for you.
- You can get advice from professionals who understand the industry and know how to help you advance. That way, you can get insights and guidance to get to your career’s next level.
- You can connect with seasoned experts who provide advice and honest feedback about your career path. These mentors can assist you in identifying your strengths and weaknesses, setting goals, and developing a plan for success.
- Get comfortable with the job searching process by simulating mock tests and interviews with professionals in your network.
How to Build Professional Relationships for Career Growth
We have established the importance of building a professional network. Now, how do you build and keep these relationships? Here are a few tips:
- Get involved: Actively engage in relevant associations or networking groups, attend conferences and events, or volunteer to participate in committees or boards. You can meet people who can become valuable contacts in your network.
- Use social media: Connect with individuals in your industry via Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and other social media platforms. Share insightful industry-related articles, posts, or personal opinions and observations. You will increase your visibility and make yourself known to your potential contacts.
- Reach out to your existing network: This is a good place to begin when creating a professional network for career advancement. Whether you’re seeking potential mentors, coworkers, or clients, the individuals you already know can provide introductions, advice, and support.
- Build rapport with everyone you meet: Take the time to get to know everyone, from the individual who sits next to you in meetings to your organization’s CEO. Find common ground and build connections based on mutual respect and interest.
- Follow-up with contacts: Follow up with new acquaintances or existing contacts. Send a LinkedIn invitation or an email expressing gratitude for their time. Continue the dialogue by maintaining communication and helping when you can.
- Be supportive and helpful whenever possible: When someone in your network needs assistance or advice, be there to help if you can. This will not only strengthen your relationship but also demonstrates your expertise and commitment to others in your field.
- Seek advice from seasoned professionals: Seasoned professionals have been working in the industry for a while and know some of the things you need to be successful. They can offer advice on job search strategies, networking tips, and how to advance in your career.
- Work on your communication skills: Be respectful and considerate of others when communicating with people. You want to ensure you are getting your point across without being too forceful or aggressive. It is also important to be a good listener. Listen to what the other person is saying and try to see things from their perspective.
- Download networking apps: We live in a digital world, which means there are tons of tools available to us that can make our lives easier, including networking. Research some networking apps you can download that will help you expand your professional circle and potentially tap into job opportunities.
How You Can Use a Contact Management App to Network and Land Your Dream Job
Most contact management apps offer additional valuable features for networking, such as tracking your interactions with contacts, setting reminders, and creating notes for context. Some apps even integrate with social media platforms, making connecting with contacts and finding new ones easy.
There are many ways a contact management app can help you network better. Specifically, with Contacts+, you can take advantage of the following features:
- Contacts+ Connector: If you are looking to connect with other professionals in your field, Contacts+ can help you find and connect with them easily with its Connector plugin for Google chrome. The plugin lets you add contacts from social media platforms directly to your Contacts+ account in one click.
- Account Sync: Contacts+ connects multiple accounts, so your address book is completely unified. No more digging through multiple accounts to find the contact you’re looking for.
- Complete the Contact: When networking or looking for your dream job, it’s important to have all the information you need when reaching out to the right person. If you only have some of their information, Contacts+ helps you by pulling data to complete the profile for you.
- Notes: Use notes to provide context and reminders in the app so you can schedule follow-ups and have conversations that offer insights about where your contacts work, their titles, and how they can be of help to you.
- Contact cleanup: Contacts+ automatically scans your contacts and lets you know if a contact’s information is out of date and needs to be updated. It also identifies and eliminates duplicates – which is crucial when you need to reach out and get a response quickly.
- Business card scanner: Maybe you meet someone unexpectedly, and they shoot you their business card. Instead of potentially misplacing it and losing their information forever, you can scan their card using the Contacts+ business card scanner, which automatically adds them to your address book.
It’s important to be organized and efficient when networking, and a contact management app can help you do both. With a contact management app like Contacts+, you can keep track of interactions and conversations with contacts in your network so you can follow up with them later and continue building your relationships.
How To Follow Up With your Network Without Being Annoying
Whether you have a new professional connection or an existing one, it’s important to follow up to maintain your relationship—but you don’t want to be annoying about it. Here are some guidelines for striking the right balance.
- Establish clear communication lines: When you reach out, communicate your intentions. Be upfront about what you hope to gain from the relationship, and provide value in each interaction.
- Identify preferred communication modes: Consider the best method of communication for everyone. Some people prefer email, while others prefer LinkedIn messages or good old-fashioned phone calls.
- Be specific: Ensure you have something specific to say prior to making contact. Generic “just checking in” messages are seen as phony and can be annoying.
- Be brief: Your follow-up message should be short and sweet. Thank the person for their time, remind them of who you are, and ask if there’s anything you can do for them.
- Be helpful and valuable: Offer to assist your new acquaintances with anything they might need (if it’s not difficult for you). If you can assist, they are considerably more likely to recall you positively.
- Don’t overdo it: It’s important to strike a balance. You don’t want to be too pushy or aggressive, but you also don’t want to be too passive or invisible. Don’t overstay your welcome when chatting in person, and don’t send more than a couple of follow-up messages if you don’t hear back from someone after the first attempt.
- Be genuine: Follow-ups should never feel like a sales pitch or advertisement. Take the time to build relationships and demonstrate that you care about more than just earning a sale.
Even if you aren’t actively looking for a job, keeping your network strong is a good idea. Establishing connections inside and outside your field is always beneficial, as you never know when you might need assistance.
While a solid professional network is great, a contact management app helps you manage your network to build lasting connections. Its ability to collect and organize information quickly and efficiently can empower you to make the most of every available opportunity. Sign up for a free Contacts+ account today and start building your network!